PDA

View Full Version : Ppf - nri

ABCD
29-09-2009, 10:59 PM
I am living in UK for last 2 years. I am a NRI, holding a PPF account in SBI, which was started before I left India.
1- Do I need to close the above account as I am NRI now? Or
2- Can I continue with the A/c?

Natraj
30-09-2009, 12:16 AM
I am living in UK for last 2 years. I am a NRI, holding a PPF account in SBI, which was started before I left India.
1- Do I need to close the above account as I am NRI now? Or
2- Can I continue with the A/c?
As you are NRI, you have to close the PPF account, as per RBI guidelines.

ABCD
30-09-2009, 12:41 AM
As you are NRI, you have to close the PPF account, as per RBI guidelines.
As per the FAQ in the Forum -
Non-resident Indians earning an income in India and wanting to take advantage of the rebate can also open an account. Subscriptions, however, will have to made from their Non-Resident Ordinary (NRO) account on a non-repatriable basis.

Natraj
30-09-2009, 01:56 PM
As per the FAQ in the Forum -
Non-resident Indians earning an income in India and wanting to take advantage of the rebate can also open an account. Subscriptions, however, will have to made from their Non-Resident Ordinary (NRO) account on a non-repatriable basis.
ABCD,
You haven't read the posting you have putin. It says if you have earned an income in India, than only you can open an PPF account.

Expert
30-09-2009, 02:51 PM
As per the below article NRI cannot open new PPF account, but they can continue with their old PPF account.
Link -
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/nri-experts/nris-cannot-openppf-account_217589.html

Matrix
30-09-2009, 05:52 PM
NRI cannot open a fresh PPF account. However if he has opened a PPF a/c before he became an NRI, that PPF account can be continued. And he can use you Non Resident Account for investment purpose.

ABCD
01-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Thank you guys.