PDA

View Full Version : Hit by an unknown driver when parked?

Vinayak
16-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Can I claim on my car insurance policy if my vehicle is hit by an unknown driver when parked?

Contractor
18-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Yes, If the policy you have taken is comprehensive policy. Your NCB will be gone if insurance company would not be able to trace the car damaged your car. Otherwise they will call the insurer of that vehicle or owner of that vehicle and ask them to pay for the damages and your NCB would remain.

>take
18-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Yes, If the policy you have taken is comprehensive policy. Your NCB will be gone if insurance company would not be able to trace the car damaged your car. Otherwise they will call the insurer of that vehicle or owner of that vehicle and ask them to pay for the damages and your NCB would remain.
Contractor - This would covered by "Knock to Knock agreement". NCB would not be gone if the car is not traced.

Expert
19-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Contractor - This would covered by "Knock to Knock agreement". NCB would not be gone if the car is not traced.
>take - Its "Knock for knock agreement"*
* An knock-for-knock agreement is an agreement between two insurance companies, the policy-holders for whom have sustained losses in the same insured event (usually a motor accident), whereby each insurer pays the losses sustained by its own policy-holder, regardless of who was responsible for an accident.
Knock to knock agreement in a motor policy, is applicable to a situation when there is a collision between two vehicles. The insurers of the two parties involved come to a settlement that there would be no need to go into the question as to whose negligence caused the accident and agree to indemnify their respective insureds’ against the loss. The right to subrogation is also not exercised in this case. On the contrary, the insurers indemnify each insured as per the policy conditions.
So I think this would not be applicable in the above case as Insured vehicle is in parked and other vehicle damaged it.