PDA

View Full Version : Total Loss - Car catches fire

vijaygawde
30-12-2009, 03:41 PM
I was owner of Hyundai Santro Car. Bought in 2005. CNG gas kit fitted in year 2008. On last Sunday, I was going to my friends home, in between in the traffic, it catches fire. May be due to internal heat. My query is that - In the case of constructive total loss, how much value would I get? The vehicle insured value was 1.2 Lakh.

CONFUSED
30-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Its very sad. What exactly happen to the car? short circuit?
You will get the Insured Declared Value (which is 1.2 lakh) - depreciation.

Rahul
30-12-2009, 06:31 PM
CNG gas kit fitted in year 2008.
Is Car RC is updated with CNG gas kit fitted and insurance company has the knowledge of it.

vijaygawde
30-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Is Car RC is updated with CNG gas kit fitted and insurance company has the knowledge of it.
I need to check the RC. The Car has been insured with the same company for last 3 years.

Nilesh
30-12-2009, 09:23 PM
What is Constructive Total Loss?

PolicyWala
31-12-2009, 01:50 AM
What is Constructive Total Loss?
Partial loss of such significance that the cost of restoring damaged property would exceed its value after restoration. For example, an automobile is so badly damaged by fire that fixing it would cost more than the restored vehicle would be worth.

vijaygawde
31-12-2009, 01:08 PM
I have checked the RC and CNG Kit has not updated on it. What I have filled in the proposal form for insurance, I do not remember now. But in the policy nothing related to CNG kit is mentioned.

Rahul - Is now, I need to inform Insurance company about the same?

Rahul
31-12-2009, 02:01 PM
I have checked the RC and CNG Kit has not updated on it. What I have filled in the proposal form for insurance, I do not remember now. But in the policy nothing related to CNG kit is mentioned.

Rahul - Is now, I need to inform Insurance company about the same?
Vijay - I am afraid, if you have not updated RC with CNG and not paid premium for the same (As not mentioned on the policy document), the claim would be declined. Now, no need to inform the insurance company.

vijaygawde
31-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Vijay - I am afraid, if you have not updated RC with CNG and not paid premium for the same (As not mentioned on the policy document), the claim would be declined. Now, no need to inform the insurance company.
But for the last three years, I am insuring with the same company. So why this matters that whether RC is updated or not. And this may be the case only when , the fire occurred due to CNG.
Waiting for the actual cause, but you guys afraid men that I would not get the claim. (means 1.2 lakhs gone, :confused:)

Rahul
31-12-2009, 08:29 PM
But for the last three years, I am insuring with the same company. So why this matters that whether RC is updated or not. And this may be the case only when , the fire occurred due to CNG.
Vijay - It's the insured duty to give insurance company, it is called as Utmost Good Faith (Principles of Insurance (http://www.policywala.com/showthread.php?t=1237)). So you have to inform each and every changes happen with the insured product like change of address, additional addon like CD player etc.

Waiting for the actual cause, but you guys afraid men that I would not get the claim. (means 1.2 lakhs gone, :confused:)
Hoping for best for you. Fingers crossed. :rain:

P.S. - I am not against your claim, just bringing in, what ever knowledge I have.

Master
31-12-2009, 09:01 PM
:Update:
What happens if my vehicle has an additional CNG kit?
In case of vehicles fitted with bi-fuel system such as Petrol/ Diesel and CNG/LPG, permitted by the concerned RTA, the CNG/LPG kit fitted to the vehicle is to be insured separately at an additional premium of 4% on the value of such kit. You need to specifically declare this in the proposal form.

vijaygawde
31-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Vijay - It's the insured duty to give insurance company, it is called as Utmost Good Faith (Principles of Insurance (http://www.policywala.com/showthread.php?t=1237)). So you have to inform each and every changes happen with the insured product like change of address, additional addon like CD player etc.

What happens if my vehicle has an additional CNG kit?
In case of vehicles fitted with bi-fuel system such as Petrol/ Diesel and CNG/LPG, permitted by the concerned RTA, the CNG/LPG kit fitted to the vehicle is to be insured separately at an additional premium of 4% on the value of such kit. You need to specifically declare this in the proposal form.
This means than claim is going to be declined by the insurance company. :mad:

Hoping for best for you. Fingers crossed. :rain:
P.S. - I am not against your claim, just bringing in, what ever knowledge I have.
Thanks Rahul! No problem, thanks for the info you have shared with me. :thumb:

rohit
01-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Vijay - It's very sad. Please share the outcome of the case with us.