PDA

View Full Version : Car Accident - RC and Insurance not Transfered?

Nitin
04-02-2010, 08:25 PM
I have bought a second hand car (Maruti - Baleno) from my friend on 3rd Jan'2010. Last week, I have submitted form 29 and 30 to transfer the car in my name with transport authority. I thought to transfer the insurance etc. in my name after RC transfer. But due to my bad driving, yesterday, my car met with an accident. And the bumper is smashed very badly and need complete replacement. Now please guide me how to go about this claim.

Manas
05-02-2010, 09:05 PM
You cannot submit Form 29 and 30 to Transport Authority, without insurance papers the car.

rohit
06-02-2010, 02:24 PM
You cannot submit Form 29 and 30 to Transport Authority, without insurance papers the car.
I agree with Manas, You cannot submit RC transfer form without insurance certificate copy.

See Natraj post on Ownership Transfer -

For transferring the ownership of the car, you would have to fill and submit following forms to RTO -
Form 29
Form 30
The forms have to be filled up and both of the parties (buyer and seller) would have to sign and the buyer would have to submit them at the local RTO with the Original Registration Certificate and attested photocopies of Insurance, proof of address and Identity proof.

Nitin
06-02-2010, 04:53 PM
I don't know the procedure and documents required, I have gone with agent. And he didn't asked me about the insurance papers. What to do now?

Manish_Kumar
06-02-2010, 07:38 PM
I don't know the procedure and documents required, I have gone with agent. And he didn't asked me about the insurance papers. What to do now?
Your agent might have forge insurance paper and submitted to transport authority. I am not sure whether you can claim on the insurance policy of your friend.

Expert
10-02-2010, 08:13 PM
He had not transferred insurance paper in his name, just submitted the old insurance paper (with sellers name) to RTO.
Always follow below points, while purchasing second hand car -
1- It is very important to ensure that all the documents of the vehicle like - RC, Service Record/ Papers, Insurance, CNG Installation receipt (if CNG is fitted) is in order. Don’t take photocopy of these document, always insist on original.
2- Check with police that the car is not registered for theft.
3- Insist on the insurance papers, as these papers are mandatory for any transfer by the RTO.
4- Also ensure transfer of the Insurance papers and RC to your name.

Mr.insurance
12-03-2010, 12:47 PM
When buying second hand cars you must always secure the most important documents to make sure you're not dealing with crooks. Make sure all important papers is at hand before handing in you hard earned money, else you'll end up hiding under the steering wheel while driving your car.