PDA

View Full Version : Total Loss of my Salvage Rebuilt Car

xela
27-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Hello, I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla, I was hit from behind...and now the other person's insurance is claiming my car to be a total loss. (Although I believe that the damage was not that bad and it is repairable)....yet my car is not drivable since the back inner fenders are touching the tires of the car

They haven't said how much they are going to offer me yet, nevertheless I am very worried that they might offer me a very very small amount of money for my car because it has a "salvage/repaired" title (When I bought my car, I bought it from a dealer that repairs salvages, and sells them).... I am not sure if they know this already...probably they do....but nevertheless I would have to give them my title right? so what if they do not know that my car is a salvage repaired and when i give them the title they realize it ?

Would it be wise to just keep the car and whatever they give me, and I take it to a place and fix it ?

Also , another thing I am concerned: My car is very welled equipped with after market stuff: Very expensive stereo, speakers, subwoofers, etc. Also a fancy car alarm with remote start,etc....I am sure that they wont keep that amount in consideration, so I should remove that.... the question is....would the insurance pay the uninstallation of my car stereo, and alarm?

I am very worried! I really appreciate your time...thanks!

PolicyWala
27-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Hello, I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla, I was hit from behind...and now the other person's insurance is claiming my car to be a total loss. (Although I believe that the damage was not that bad and it is repairable)....yet my car is not drivable since the back inner fenders are touching the tires of the car Only your insurance company can say that it is total loss. Not other person's insurance company.

They haven't said how much they are going to offer me yet, nevertheless I am very worried that they might offer me a very very small amount of money for my car because it has a "salvage/repaired" title (When I bought my car, I bought it from a dealer that repairs salvages, and sells them).... I am not sure if they know this already...probably they do....but nevertheless I would have to give them my title right? so what if they do not know that my car is a salvage repaired and when i give them the title they realize it ?
The value of car would be sum insured in case of total loss.

Also , another thing I am concerned: My car is very welled equipped with after market stuff: Very expensive stereo, speakers, subwoofers, etc. Also a fancy car alarm with remote start,etc....I am sure that they wont keep that amount in consideration, so I should remove that.... the question is....would the insurance pay the uninstallation of my car stereo, and alarm?

I am very worried! I really appreciate your time...thanks!
In total loss the complete salvage (damage car) is property of your insurance company. I would not think they would allow you to un-install anything.

xela
27-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Only your insurance company can say that it is total loss. Not other person's insurance company.

The value of car would be sum insured in case of total loss.

In total loss the complete salvage (damage car) is property of your insurance company. I would not think they would allow you to un-install anything.

Hello! thanks for your prompt answer..

So in that case...should I call my insurance company and explain to them what happened so that they can help me out? maybe send someone(adjuster) to inspect my vehicle and check if it is total loss or not? and in case is not, for them to fight with the other insurance company?

What do you mean with sum insured in case of total loss?

PolicyWala
27-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Hello! thanks for your prompt answer..

So in that case...should I call my insurance company and explain to them what happened so that they can help me out? maybe send someone(adjuster) to inspect my vehicle and check if it is total loss or not? and in case is not, for them to fight with the other insurance company?
Whenever any accident happen (whether you want to claim or don't from you insurance company), always inform your insurance company in detail. They will take it forward from there.

What do you mean with sum insured in case of total loss?
In case of total loss the insurance company is liable to pay the full sum insured (the value for which you have taken the cover of your car)