PDA

View Full Version : Can PIO/OCI card holders buy term insurance in India?

ABCD
03-06-2011, 04:44 PM
I am PIO card holder, presently living in India. What all term insurance options available for PIO / OCI card holders living in India?
Note - PIO / OCI card holders are Indian origin, however have taken other country's citizenship.

lokeshz
03-06-2011, 07:29 PM
As per LIC India website -
NRI or PIO cannot apply to insurance in India if -
1- NRI should not be a green card holder. He/She should not have applied for or planning to apply in the near future for acquiring citizenship of his /her present country of residence or any other country.
2- It is clarified that People of Indian Origin having foreign nationality and residing in foreign countries (PIO) are not considered as NRIs for the purpose of allowing insurance.

Madhura
03-06-2011, 08:40 PM
who is Person of Indian Origin(PIO)?
A Person of Indian Origin means a citizen of any country (other than Bangladesh or Pakistan), if:
a.he at any time held an Indian passport; or
b.he or either of his parents or grand parents was a citizen of India by virtue of the Constitution of India or the Citizenship Act,1955 (57 of 1955); or
c.he is a spouse of an Indian citizen, or of a person referred to in (a) or (b) above.

‘PIO’ can hold insurance policies in India and pay premium thereon without any permission. Settlement of claims in foreign currency by insurance companies is permitted in certain cases where the premium has been paid in foreign currency or remittance from abroad.

ABCD
04-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks Madhura for your help! May I have a link - where all the above info is present?

Madhura
04-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks Madhura for your help! May I have a link - where all the above info is present?
Check here - http://www.licindia.in/nri_centre.htm

ABCD
04-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks again! this is very quick.