Thread: HDFC - Ergo says they cannot renew my car policy

PolicyWala Newbie

Question HDFC - Ergo says they cannot renew my car policy

I have insured my Hyundai Ascent with HDFC-Ergo for last two years and have been very happy with it. A couple of months ago, I had a minor accident when I backed into another driver's wheel arch, this also made slight damage to our car. We had also made a claim last year, after our car was stolen. HDFC-Ergo says that based on the above two incidents, we are too high-risk, so they cannot renew the policy. This is very hard decision, because the theft wasn't our fault, and the accident this year was minor.

HDFC-Ergo can refuse the renewal. It all depends upon the underwriting practice of the company. I see nothing wrong in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajeev S View Post
    I have insured my Hyundai Ascent with HDFC-Ergo for last two years and have been very happy with it. A couple of months ago, I had a minor accident when I backed into another driver's wheel arch, this also made slight damage to our car. We had also made a claim last year, after our car was stolen. HDFC-Ergo says that based on the above two incidents, we are too high-risk, so they cannot renew the policy. This is very hard decision, because the theft wasn't our fault, and the accident this year was minor.
    In India, the underwriting is still on the basis of past claim history of the proposer/insured, they won’t check, who is at fault in the case. So that was the reason, your renewal was refused by HDFC-Ergo.