Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I cancel my travel insurance policy?

PolicyWala NewBie

Lightbulb How do I cancel my travel insurance policy?

I have bought a travel insurance policy for my application for student visa to Australia. But to my surprise my visa application has been refused by the Australia Embassy. So now I want to cancel my travel insurance policy. Please tell me if it is possible? If yes what is the procedure for the same.

PolicyWala Newbie

Contact customer care with your policy.

You can cancel your travel insurance provided that you have not travelled and made a claim on the policy. For this you need to contact the Insurance company’s customer care with your passport (in original), Policy No. and you also need to give the reason why you want to cancel the travel insurance.
    |Jargon Buster|Before you post, please read the FAQ and the sticky posts on the board you wish to use.|Blog|

Administrator

As per National Insurance Company Website -
    "Cancellation of the policy may be done ONLY in cases where a journey is not undertaken and ONLY on production of the insured person’s PASSPORT as a proof that the journey has not been undertaken. Any request for cancellation will be entertained not less than 14 days after the First Day of Insurance as indicated in the policy schedule. Such cancellation will be subject to deduction of cancellation charges by the underwriters as applicable. Partial refund in premium is permitted on trip band basis provided cover is for a minimum period of 60 days and unexpired period is not less than 14 days subject to there being no claim under the policy"
    You will pick up maximum wrong numbers when on roaming.

PolicyWala NewBie

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    You can cancel your travel insurance provided that you have not travelled and made a claim on the policy. For this you need to contact the Insurance company’s customer care with your passport (in original), Policy No. and you also need to give the reason why you want to cancel the travel insurance.
    Thanks a lot – Rahul!
    What is the best reason for cancellation for me?

PolicyWala NewBie

Madhura - I have bought travel insurance from ICICI Lombard not from National Insurance, but thanks for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by alokss View Post
    Thanks a lot – Rahul!
    What is the best reason for cancellation for me?
    You have very valid reason - you haven’t got the student visa and have no future plans to travel abroad, so wants to cancel my travel insurance.
    |Jargon Buster|Before you post, please read the FAQ and the sticky posts on the board you wish to use.|Blog|

PolicyWala NewBie

hi alokss,
    you can cancel your travel insurance policy very easily.All travel insurance policies come with a free review period from which you can understand the coverages and determine whether the plan meets your requirement or not.But you can't return your travel policy for a refund if you've started your trip. To cancel your travel policy during free review period you have to contact the travel insurance provider directly.

Quote Originally Posted by cadyjohn View Post
    hi alokss,
    you can cancel your travel insurance policy very easily.All travel insurance policies come with a free review period from which you can understand the coverages and determine whether the plan meets your requirement or not.But you can't return your travel policy for a refund if you've started your trip. To cancel your travel policy during free review period you have to contact the travel insurance provider directly.
    In travel insurance - there is no free review or free look period.

Banned

Just show your passport to the insurance agency as prove that you have not undertaken the journey and has indeed cancelled your travel plan. Your policy will get cancelled without further questions.