Thread: Travel Insurance Policy Cancellation - When entire trip has been cancelled?

Question Travel Insurance Policy Cancellation - When entire trip has been cancelled?

I had bought a travel insurance policy (from 15th July'2011 to 31st July 2011) for my parents from Royal Sundram. Now the entire trip has been cancelled, so I am looking for cancellation of above travel insurance policy. I have few queries -
    1- Do I still need to submit passport, as the travel date is far away from today?

2- Is there any charges for cancellation?

Quote Originally Posted by nikhil_singh View Post
    I had bought a travel insurance policy (from 15th July'2011 to 31st July 2011) for my parents from Royal Sundram. Now the entire trip has been cancelled, so I am looking for cancellation of above travel insurance policy. I have few queries -
    1- Do I still need to submit passport, as the travel date is far away from today?
    Cancellation of the policy can be done only in cases, where a journey has not undertaken. In your case as the date of start of cover is later date, so no need to submit the passport.
    2- Is there any charges for cancellation?
    Yes, they charge admin fees around 5-10% of the policy premium.

Thanks Lethal. But as per Royal Sundram website FAQs -
    In case I don't want the policy anymore, can I get it cancelled?
    You can get your policy cancelled only if you have not undertaken the journey and you produce your passport as a proof that the journey has not been undertaken. Any such request of cancellation will be entertained up to 14 days after the first date of insurance as indicated in the schedule of the policy. In case of cancellation of your policy, Rs. 250 will be deducted as administration charges, from the refundable amount.

So I need to submit the passport.

One more question - Do I need to submit the passport in their head office as I had bought the policy online?

You can get your policy cancelled only if you have not undertaken the journey and you produce your passport as a proof that the journey has not been undertaken.
    So in your case because the trip start date is on 15th July, so no need to produce the passport.
    Do I need to submit the passport in their head office as I had bought the policy online?
    You can go to the nearest office of the Royal Sundram.

P.S. Please call the customer care and ask them your query. For online policies, they take email requests also.

Thanks Lethal again for your reply!
    I have called customer care and they have told me to send a email with policy no. and they will update me later.

Got an email from Royal Sun about cancellation of my policy. No deadline for premium refund. Anybody has any idea - how many days it will take? And what is the mode of refund (I had made payment via Credit card)?

PW Fan

Quote Originally Posted by nikhil_singh View Post
    Got an email from Royal Sun about cancellation of my policy. No deadline for premium refund. Anybody has any idea - how many days it will take? And what is the mode of refund (I had made payment via Credit card)?
    Usually it take 7 -15 working days to process the cancellation payment. The refund usually in the same way as you had made the payment.

Thank you all, I have recieved my refund back. Royal Sundram has just deducted Rs. 500/- as cancellation charges and remaining amount is deposited back in my credit card as debit amount.

Thanks again to all for helping me out!