Thread: Comprehens​ive Insurance for an Out of State registered car

Question Comprehens​ive Insurance for an Out of State registered car

My car is registered in Maharashtra, though we are using it in Delhi.

At the time of getting comprehensive insurance, it was told to us that an out-of-state car if stolen, will have to file an FIR in the home state. Is this true? Should I go for only Third-Party Insurance or should I get comprehensive insurance. Is there any law for this?

via email @annika_anand

If you are planning to stay in the new place for less than 3 months then you don't have to do anything. As per RTO rules it is considered as a visit. If you are going to stay for more than 3 months and less than one year then you have to pay a nominal Tax amount in the new state. But RTO officers will not accept tax for other state vehicle. They will ask for change of address and re-registration.

As per rules if you are planning to stay in the new place for more than one year you have to apply for change of address and re-registration. To apply for the change of address you have to get a NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the home state RTO where the vehicle is registered.

Insurance is valid all over India. But always inform the insurance company if you change address.

Administrator

You must inform the insurance company for any change in address, because the premium depends on the area of the vehicle e.g. insurance premium of a car in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkatta is more than premium in other cities. This is due to less theft and accident chance in small cities. This is the main reason of claim denial.
    You will pick up maximum wrong numbers when on roaming.