Thread: How the surrender value is calculated in Met Life's Met Suvidha (Par) Policy?

Exclamation How the surrender value is calculated in Met Life's Met Suvidha (Par) Policy?

Note : Please always start a new thread if you have a new query.

One doubt.

My cousin has this metlife suvidha par policy where this 26 years policy has 4 lakh face value and 3 lakh additional accidental death benefit.So total 7 lakhs in accidental case and 4 lakh for any other.The person pays 19000 approxmate yearly bonus upto 10 years and already 7 payments done and 8th is due on first week of march.

So far the guaranteed surrender value shown is 46000 something for 1 lakh 33000 premium paid.Also the bonus amount shown s 63000.

So say if my cousin surrenders the policy now will she get

1:: 46000=Guaranteed surrender value only.

2::63000=Bonus amount only.

3::46000+63000=99000 Both guaranteed and bonus amount ?

As per Met Life's Met Suvidha (Par) Policy Brochures - The Guaranteed Surrender Value depends on the way life insured pays his premium -

A- For Single Pay
    If the policy has been in force for 2 years, the policy would acquire a Guaranteed Surrender Value. The Guaranteed Surrender Value would be payable from the end of the second year onwards, and would be equal to 90% of the premium paid, excluding any extra premium and rider premium, if any.

B- For Regular Pay and Limited Pay
    If all premiums have been paid for at least 3 full years, and the policy had been in force for 3 full years, the policy would acquire a Guaranteed Surrender Value. The Guaranteed Surrender Value will be payable from the end of the 3rd year onwards and will be equal to 30% of the premiums paid, excluding first premium, any extra premium and rider premium, if any.

In your cousin's case the second option 'B' will be taken into account.

My cousin has this metlife suvidha par policy where this 26 years policy has 4 lakh face value and 3 lakh additional accidental death benefit.So total 7 lakhs in accidental case and 4 lakh for any other.The person pays 19000 approxmate yearly bonus upto 10 years and already 7 payments done and 8th is due on first week of march.

So far the guaranteed surrender value shown is 46000 something for 1 lakh 33000 premium paid.Also the bonus amount shown s 63000.

So say if my cousin surrenders the policy now will she get

1:: 46000=Guaranteed surrender value only.

2::63000=Bonus amount only.

3::46000+63000=99000 Both guaranteed and bonus amount ?
    The Met Life's Met Suvidha (Par) Policy brochure doesn't talk about bonus (whether the bonus will also be paid during the surrender of the policy). I hope that they will only pay the Guaranteed Surrender Value to you. So it will be equal to 30% of the premiums paid, excluding first premium, any extra premium and rider premium, if any.

Annual Premium Amount - 19,000
    Already Paid Premium for years - 7 Years
    Total Premium Paid - (19,000 X 7) = 133,000

Deduct first year premium = (133,000 - 19,000) = 114,000
    Guaranteed Surrender Value @ 30% Premium Paid (excluding first premium) - 114,000 X 30/100 = 34200*

*I am not getting the right amount (46,000) as mentioned by you above, where am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    The Met Life's Met Suvidha (Par) Policy brochure doesn't talk about bonus (whether the bonus will also be paid during the surrender of the policy). I hope that they will only pay the Guaranteed Surrender Value to you. So it will be equal to 30% of the premiums paid, excluding first premium, any extra premium and rider premium, if any. Annual Premium Amount - 19,000 Already Paid Premium for years - 7 Years Total Premium Paid - (19,000 X 7) = 133,000 Deduct first year premium = (133,000 - 19,000) = 114,000 Guaranteed Surrender Value @ 30% Premium Paid (excluding first premium) - 114,000 X 30/100 = 34200* *I am not getting the right amount (46,000) as mentioned by you above, where am I wrong?
    I guess they are paying accrued bonus too with some % calculation with the amount which is somewhere around 63000 and than same. But doesnt this amount too look pity when compared to premium paid. If the policy is surrendered and the amount of 46000 and also unpaid premium of 57000 is placed under some mutual fund which gives 12% annual return even that will pay much more on maturity if invested now(somewhere 9 lakh 60000 whereas at 3% this policy will pay below 9 lakhs).

For insurance of 4 lakh i guess spending 3000 a year wont be a problem plus for 100 rupees you get 4 lakh rupee personal accident death cover if you have any bank account(sbi). Is it wise to surrender the policy and go for term insurance and investment elsewhere.
    Because even the person can pay premium now.But say 10 years down the line some emergency happens and he needs to surrender the policy hardly a lakh and half or even less will be provided back.

Any endowment plan won't give you more than 3-4% return. And surrender is also not a good option for policyholder. Please check if you could make the policy paid up.
    * SAFE
    Self Appointed Financial Expert

Quote Originally Posted by PolicyWala View Post
    Excellent article! Thanks for sharing PW!
    * SAFE
    Self Appointed Financial Expert