Thread: PPF account for child

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default PPF account for child

I have a ppf account and this will be the 7th year of my PPF.

I have suggested many people(collegues) to open PPF for saving in 80C.But mostly 80% times my colleagues aren’t interested because of long period of 15 years.Now this lead to me to a different question same will come true for my children in future(presently i am unmarried).

So a doubt has arise in my mind.I know a person can deposit at max 1 lakh in his own and kids account.So suppose as soon as i have a kid i open a PPF account for him/her and deposit say 30K yearly to his/her account(70k In mine as ill have more compounding power).That way until he/she turns 15 or say 16 years they doesnt have to worry about a long lock in and has to worry only about renewing it after every 5 years till they need it.Is such practice allowed? Or after 18 years again a 15 years set in?

15 years Long Lock-in Period : Wrong Assumption?

1- You can withdraw after sixth year -
    If you need money, you can withdraw after the sixth year, but it cannot exceed 50% of the balance at the end of fourth year, or the immediate preceding year, whichever is lower. You can also withdraw only once in a financial year.

2- Can take loan also -
    You can also take a loan against it, but this cannot exceed 25% of the balance in the preceding year. The loan is charged at 2% till 36 months, and 6% for longer tenures. Till a loan is repaid, you can't take more loans.
    |Jargon Buster|Before you post, please read the FAQ and the sticky posts on the board you wish to use.|Blog|

Child PPF Account - Yes, you can do that no problem in that you can also claim that in your IT return under 80C.

Take care of following things:
    1) A Public Provident Fund (PPF) account can be opened by resident Indian Individuals and individuals on behalf of minors, not by NRIs.
    2) Only one Public Provident Fund (PPF) account can be maintained by an Individual, except an account that is opened on behalf of a minor.
    3) A Public Provident Fund (PPF) account can be opened either by the Mother or Father on behalf of their minor Son or Daughter; however the Mother and Father both cannot open Public Provident Fund (PPF) accounts on behalf of the same minor.
    4) Grand-parents cannot open a Public Provident Fund (PPF) account on behalf of minor grandchild; however, in case of death of both the Father and Mother, Grandparents can open a Public Provident Fund (PPF) account as guardians of the Grand-child.
    |Jargon Buster|Before you post, please read the FAQ and the sticky posts on the board you wish to use.|Blog|

Thanks for the fast reply.I got my answer.

I think PPF account is one of the best option to invest money for future and give benefits in Income tax, so we can open an PPF account individually or ever for the name of minors for fulfilling their future money requirements.