Thread: Can I get interest, if I deposit Rs 1 lacs in child PPF account?

PW Regular

Question Can I get interest, if I deposit Rs 1 lacs in child PPF account?

I read in lots of forum that you can deposit Rs. 1,00,000 in your PPF account and Rs. 1,00,000 in your child PPF account. Total 2 lacs.

My query is - Can I deposit Rs. 1,00,000 in my account and the same amount i.e Rs. 1,00,000 in my child's account?

I understand that the income tax benefit will be only for Rs. 1,00,000 (one of the above, most probable from my PPF account), but will I get interest on the amount that is deposited in the child's account as well?

Getting Interest and Tax Rebate are two different parts.

For Tax Rebate - 1,00,000 is the limit for PPF or any other investment under Sec 80 C.
    For Interest - 1,00,000 is the max limit in the PPF account. And this valid till the point the investor didn't have another PPF account in his name.

The ceiling on deposits is Rs.1,00,000/- in a financial year at present, is both for individual self account and account(s) opened on behalf of minor(s) of whom he is the guardian, taken together.

Source - SBOT
    Rules/Guidelines at PolicyWala | Help Old People |
    I am speaking from experience and my own personal views above - I am not an advisor, nor an expert.