Thread: Need advice to turn to Indian Insurance companies

Default Need advice to turn to Indian Insurance companies

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have experience in IT for US Life Insurance and health insurance for around 8 + years. But I have not done any certification related to Insurance yet. Now I want to turn myself from IT to Indian Insurance (As I have prior knowledge of it and like Insurance domaing). Can you guide me what all options will be available for me? My Interests more is towards Underwriting.

Please forgive me if added anything wrong, as I am new here.

Regards,
    Ketaki

Why not start with IT Department in Insurance Company? And use your IT Experiance.

You need to start with insurance cources on www.insuranceinstituteofindia.com and then use the placement services by III.

Hope this helps!
    |Jargon Buster|Before you post, please read the FAQ and the sticky posts on the board you wish to use.|Blog|

Rahul,

Thanks for links provided. I have few questions though.

1. As I am new here, can you help me to understand this in Layman terms? - What exactly is meant by Licentiate, Assosciate, Fellowship certifactions?
    2. If I have to appear for any exam/certificate, Is there any order, in which I should be appearing for it?

I liked your suggestion to start of with IT department of Insurance company. I will surely keep looking for what kind of opportunities are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketaki R View Post
    Rahul,

Thanks for links provided. I have few questions though.

1. As I am new here, can you help me to understand this in Layman terms? - What exactly is meant by Licentiate, Assosciate, Fellowship certifactions?
    2. If I have to appear for any exam/certificate, Is there any order, in which I should be appearing for it?

I liked your suggestion to start of with IT department of Insurance company. I will surely keep looking for what kind of opportunities are available.
    Certificate/ Diploma Courses Conducted By I.I.I
    A 3 Tier Qualification from Basics to Advanced Levels in Insurance

1- Licentiate (Certificate)
    2- Associateship Diploma (A.I.I.I)
    3- Fellowship Diploma (F.I.I.I)

Licentiate Exams First Level (Certificate)

Eligibility: Candidates should have passed minimum 10th Standard board exams i.e. SSC/ SSLC/ matriculation or any equivalent exam.

Fresh registration: All candidates are required to register first as a new candidate for the Licentiate level with the Insurance Institute of India. Candidates receive a permanent registration number which shall prevail through all levels of the exams. Candidates cannot register for the Associateship/ Fellowship levels directly without passing the Licentiate level (3 tier qualification program)

Subject codes & Names
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  16.0 KB

Exam summary
    Total marks: 100, Passing: 50
    Time: 2 hrs
    Pattern: OMR Sheet/ Fully Objective, 1 mark for each Q

Exemptions: Candidates passing Licentiate exams under one branch will be exempted from appearing for the same subjects, while registering for the other branch, e.g. a candidate who has passed the Licentiate exams under Life Branch will be exempted from appearing in the 2 subjects 01 and 14; while having to appear in only 1 paper, namely 02.

Associateship Exams Second Level (Diploma)

Eligibility
    Only candidates who have passed the Licentiate exams can appear for the Associateship exams. Registrations are done through local III branch centres or directly at the Mumbai office of III. Registrations can also be done online through the III website.

Subject codes & Names
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1554
Size:  27.2 KB

Exam summary
    Time: 3 hrs
    Pattern: Fully Subjective
    Candidate has to pass total “6” subjects to qualify for the Associateship diploma.

Award of Diploma
    On passing the Associateship exams, the candidate will be awarded an Associateship Diploma, and can apply for election as an Associate Member of III (A.I.I.I)

Fellowship Exams Third Level (Diploma)

Eligibility
    Only candidates who have passed the Associateship exams can appear for the Fellowship exams. Registrations are done through local III branch centres or directly at the Mumbai office of III. Registrations can also be done online through the III website.

Subject codes & Names
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  50.1 KB

Exam summary
    Time: 3 hrs
    Pattern: Fully Subjective (Essay type answers)
    Candidate has to pass total “6” subjects to qualify for the fellowship diploma

Award of Diploma
    On passing the Fellowship exams, the candidate will be awarded a Fellowship Diploma, and can apply for election as a Fellow Member of III (F.I.I.I)

Important Dates
    The III exams for all 3 levels are held 2 times a year, in April/ May & in October/ November. Fresh registrations for Licentiate exams & subsequent levels are generally open 4 months prior to the exams and close within 3 months from the exams.
    For complete information on III exams, important dates and exam schedules, exemptions, subjects & syllabus, fees and registration; please visit the institute’s website.

Source - CIFP
    Everyone has a scheme of getting rich.. Which never works.