Thread: Can I claim the premium amount paid for "my disabled and dependent sister and brother" under 80D ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Can I claim the premium amount paid for "my disabled and dependent sister and brother" under 80D ?

I have taken a mediclaim policy covering myself, my disabled and dependent sister and brother. I am paying premium for myself and for my disabled and dependent sister and brother. Can I claim the premium amount paid for them under 80D and if yes, please tell me what will be the maximum limit that I can claim?

Thanks a lot!

Ajai

The only way to claim your brother and sister premium is creating an HUF and paying premium via HUF account.

An individual is allowed to claim deduction under Section 80D when the policy is taken on the health of the assessee, his spouse, parents (dependent or not) and dependent children.

Quote Originally Posted by ajai View Post
    Can I claim the premium amount paid for them under 80D and if yes, please tell me what will be the maximum limit that I can claim?
    For an individual Rs.15000 per year deduction is allowed under Sec 80D.

Please note that except from cash, any mode of payment is allowed as deduction like payment through cheque, debit card, credit card etc.