Thread: New Insurance For Used Car While Old Insurance Is Valid?

Default New Insurance For Used Car While Old Insurance Is Valid?

I recently bought a used car and completed the ownership transfer. The car is in Bangalore and the RC card now displays my name.
    The car was previously used in Ernakulum and is currently insured in the previous owners name with United India (UI) Ernakulum. The insurance is a comprehensive package and is valid till 23/12/2014.

I want to have the insurance in my name (obviously) so below are my options :
    1. Get the insurance transferred to my name
    I called up UI Ernakulum and was told that the car needs to be visually inspected to allow a name transfer. Driving the car to Ernakulum or traveling there myself is something I want to avoid. I was told that the inspection can be done in Bangalore but it has to be done on the same day when the transfer is applied for. This would be difficult since I do not know anyone personally in Ernakulum and would prefer to not disturb the previous owner again.

2. Get new insurance
    I approached Oriental who denied providing new insurance since the previous one has not expired.
    I approached UI Bangalore office who agreed to provide a fresh insurance. However at the time of entering the details in their system an error popped up saying "This Reg. No has already been registered". I was told that the only way I could get insurance is if I got the transfer done by approaching the Ernakulum office.

Here is what I would like to know :
    1. The previous insurance is not in my name, not in line with the current RC card (which is in my name), and has not expired yet. Am I legally allowed to apply for a fresh insurance?

2. The UI Bangalore employee told me that the cars Reg. No would show up at any central government insurance agency and hence none of them can provide insurance.
    When I explained the situation to ICICI Lombard person over the phone, he said it can be done without any issues.
    Will the Reg. No also show up with the private companies and cause similar issues as with UI Bangalore?

3. Is there any process by which I can terminate the previous insurance with UI Ernakulum? That way the Reg No would not show up in the system and I can buy a fresh policy from UI Bangalore.

Thanks in advance for taking time out to answer my questions

Regards,
    Rajath S

Last edited by rajathv8; 27-09-2014 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Added thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
    1. The previous insurance is not in my name, not in line with the current RC card (which is in my name), and has not expired yet. Am I legally allowed to apply for a fresh insurance?
    Yes. Check here - How to transfer car insurance of Second Hand Car?

2. The UI Bangalore employee told me that the cars Reg. No would show up at any central government insurance agency and hence none of them can provide insurance.
    When I explained the situation to ICICI Lombard person over the phone, he said it can be done without any issues.
    Will the Reg. No also show up with the private companies and cause similar issues as with UI Bangalore?
    I am not getting this issue, may be internal software issue in UI.

3. Is there any process by which I can terminate the previous insurance with UI Ernakulum? That way the Reg No would not show up in the system and I can buy a fresh policy from UI Bangalore.
    Request the cancellation of the previuos insurance first and then apply for fresh insurance in your name. I don't see any issue in it.