Thread: Claim after death of lic policy holder on maturation

Default Claim after death of lic policy holder on maturation

I am the nominee of lic policy ( policy holder is my husband ) which already matured 3 month ago , but my husband expired after the maturation date without claiming the maturity .

I ( wife ) want to know how can i claim the lic policy .
    What is the procedure and what documents required . Please mention in details .

Thanx

vrinda sharma

What is the procedure to be followed in case of claim by death of the policyholder?
    The following are the main steps for receiving claims:

Intimation of death
    The first requirement of the Life Insurer in the case of death claim is that an "intimation of death"’ should be sent to the office of the Life Insurer.
    The intimation needs to be sent by the person who is entitled to get the proceeds of the policy. It may be:
    • the nominee or
    • the assignee of the policy or
    • the deceased policyholder’s nearest relative.

The letter of intimation of death should contain the following information:
    • name of the life assured
    • a statement that the life assured is dead;
    • the date of death;
    • the cause of death;
    • the place of death; and
    • policy number / s
    • claimant’s relationship with the assured or his status (nominee, assignee, etc.).

Soon after the receipt of the intimation of the death, the Life Insurer office sends the necessary claim forms along with instructions regarding the procedure to be followed by the
    claimant.

Submission of Proof of Death
    The proof of death required to be submitted is a certificate by Municipal Death Registry or by a Public Record Office which maintains the records of births and deaths in the locality.
    Besides this some other statements or certificates are also required to be given in the prescribed Claim forms:

• Statement from the doctor who attended the deceased policyholder’s last illness.
    • Certificate of treatment in the hospital where the policyholder died or was treated by the hospital authorities.
    • Certificate of burial or cremation to be given by an independent person who attended the funeral and has seen the dead body.
    • Certificate from the employer if the policyholder was in employment at the time of death.
    • Submission of Proof of Age

Certificate of Ownership
    When the policy is validly assigned, or a nominee has been designated in the policy, no further proof of title is necessary. In any other case, the certificate of title is necessary. In such a case the Life Insurer would require legal evidence of title such as Succession Certificate or Letters of Administration or Letters of Probate or a Will.

Payment and Discharge
    After completing all the above formalities, the insurance company issues a discharge form for completion, which is to be signed by the person entitled to receive policy money. That is, it should be signed by:
    • the nominee, in case nomination was made under the policy;
    • the assignee, in case the policy was validity and unconditionally assigned;
    • the legal representative or successor.
    • In due course, Life Insurer sends the cheque for the amount due to the person entitled to receive the same.

Source - PolicyWala.com

Quote Originally Posted by golden View Post
    I am the nominee of lic policy ( policy holder is my husband ) which already matured 3 month ago , but my husband expired after the maturation date without claiming the maturity .

I ( wife ) want to know how can i claim the lic policy .
    What is the procedure and what documents required . Please mention in details .

Thanx

vrinda sharma
    For LIC Death Claims:
    The person legally entitled to receive the policy monies should give intimation of death of the policyholder to the servicing Branch. The requirement for the claim are as given below:
    1- Claim Form 'A' in Form No.3783. (download)
    If policy has run for 3 years or more from date or risk, claim form no.3783A (download) may be used.
    2- Certified extract from death register.
    3- The original policy document with Deed/s of assignment/s, if any.

(Additional requirement may be required under a policy according to the status of the policy. Please contact the LIC servicing Branch for details).