Thread: Insurance with Home Loan

Question Insurance with Home Loan

Hi All,

I am buying a new home, for this new home I am taking home loan. Now my home advisor is saying me that I need to buy two insurance - One Home Insurance and another term insurance for myself. Is it so?

Please Advice.

There are three types of home insurance.

1. The loan that you take is insured. If anything happens to you, the insurance company pays off the loan to bank

2. Insurance of the property against earthquate, floods etc.

3. Insurance of the household goods against theft burglary etc

If you feel like covering against the loan take insurance of type 1 only. There is no point in getting the same financed. Try to pay from your pocket so that you do not pay interest on insurance premia for five years !!!

You will get 80 C benefit in the year in which you pay insurance premia. This being a single premium policy, you will get rebate in this financial year only.

The other riders would have already been covered to you in any other insurance policy or your employer may be giving you a full health cover or a group insurance of all the employees.

Hence take cover only for repayment of the loan outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by vinit View Post
    Hi All,

I am buying a new home, for this new home I am taking home loan. Now my home advisor is saying me that I need to buy two insurance - One Home Insurance and another term insurance for myself. Is it so?

Please Advice.
    Home Insurance - Would cover the home from Risks such as Fire, earth-quack etc.This is basic policy and premium is also not very high (60 Paise for 1,00,000/- Sum Insured)

Term Insurance - This would cover the loan taker. If due to some mis happening to the loan taker - the loan taker is unable to earn or pay (Like disablement or death), then the policy would pay the unpaid loan amount to the bank from where the loan has taken.

I would suggest to go for both the policies. Please also take care of below points -
    • Don't take Term Insurance with the loan (provider which is selling you the loan), but take independently from LIC and keep premium mode annual. It will be cheaper for you.
    • Home Insurance - Take only basic Fire Policy with earth-quack cover and go for long term policy eg. 10 years. You will save 50% of the total premium by this way.

PolicyWala NewBie

Both of this insurance are good enough for the assurance of your property. This will help you be more prepared whatever tear of your belongings. Before settling with the insurance follow through the details before having it.

PolicyWala NewBie

Quote Originally Posted by PolicyWala View Post
    There are three types of home insurance.

1. The loan that you take is insured. If anything happens to you, the insurance company pays off the loan to bank

2. Insurance of the property against earthquate, floods etc.

3. Insurance of the household goods against theft burglary etc

If you feel like covering against the loan take insurance of type 1 only. There is no point in getting the same financed. Try to pay from your pocket so that you do not pay interest on insurance premia for five years !!!

You will get 80 C benefit in the year in which you pay insurance premia. This being a single premium policy, you will get rebate in this financial year only.

The other riders would have already been covered to you in any other insurance policy or your employer may be giving you a full health cover or a group insurance of all the employees.

Hence take cover only for repayment of the loan outstanding.
    I agree with you. You have shared nice information. Thanks for sharing.