Thread: Home Insurance Only for a couple of months only

Default Home Insurance Only for a couple of months only

Hello, I’ve only just joined. I have previously found your answers very informative.

I’m currently in the process of buying a new flat and selling my old house in my home town. But we are doing it separately, so the house we are selling will be empty for a couple of months.

Can I buy Home Insurance for just a couple of months and then just cancel it, when the house is sold?

Thanks

A couple of points - first of all, you CAN just take out buildings insurance, but be aware that this may not cover some of the fixtures in your house eg carpets, curtains etc

Second you can take out a monthly policy, many companies do these and you pay monthly, the cover is in force as long as there's premium paid that month, so when it's sold you can stop the insurance - that would solve that problem - no need to have an annual plan. (But the premium is higher than normal policy)

A reputable insurance agent would be able to help you find the right company if you cannot get low cost monthly cover from a major insurer.
    * SAFE
    Self Appointed Financial Expert

Hi

Although you can pay for your insurance monthly and cancel mid-term providers may charge you a fee for doing this so always check with the insurer if there are any cancellation fees applicable if you don't take a full 12 month policy out.

Whilst your house is empty you will need to let your insurer at the time know, it may be that they just make a note of this on your policy schedule, or require a small additional premium to maintain your level of cover, however if they are unable to accomodate your needs here then try a search on google for empty property insurance and you should then get a list of insurers who will be able to cater for you.

Hope this helps and good luck with the house move.
    Rules/Guidelines at PolicyWala | Help Old People |
    I am speaking from experience and my own personal views above - I am not an advisor, nor an expert.