Thread: What is upper circuit and lower circuit?

Question What is upper circuit and lower circuit?

Hey Friends,

Can anybody give me an idea about what is upper circuit and lower circuit in share market? And what is the limit for this?

Thanks,
    >Take

If in any day any stock price get increased by 5 - 10% (% defined by SEBI for each share) of the previous day price in a day than there is an upper circuit means that the trading for the stock is stoped for some time. Same is happen for lower circuit.
    Rules/Guidelines at PolicyWala | Help Old People |
    I am speaking from experience and my own personal views above - I am not an advisor, nor an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by >take View Post
    Hey Friends,

Can anybody give me an idea about what is upper circuit and lower circuit in share market? And what is the limit for this?

Thanks,
    >Take
    The exchange has fixed circuit filters for the Sensex. If the index drops 10% before 1 PM then trading would be halted for one hour. If 10% drop is between 1-2:30 PM then trading to be halted for half an hour. If 10% drop after 2:30 PM then no halt in trading.

If in case index drops by 15% before 1 pm then trading to be halted for 2 hours. If 15% drop between 1-2 PM then trading to be halted for one hour. If 15% drop after 2 PM then trading to be halted for rest of the day.

In the case of 20% drop in the index then trading to be halted for the rest of the day.