Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Q&A on Stock Market

PolicyWala NewBie

Wink

What is insider trading in shares? I was reading one news about one guy, who did insider trading, so just curious about this term :-).

Quote Originally Posted by Mayur09 View Post
    What is insider trading in shares?
    Insider trading is the trading of a company's stock by individuals with potential access to non-public material information about the company. Eg. If a company's stock is trading at 500 and someone learns that the company will be taken over for 650 a share, that information would be material.

PolicyWala Newbie

What is Stop Loss in shares? How to put stop loss in ICICI Direct?

PolicyWala Expert Policy_expert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharma View Post
    What is Stop Loss in shares? How to put stop loss in ICICI Direct?
    A stop-loss limit allows you to specify the minimum price at which you are willing to hold a stock and trigger the sale of the shares when they reach, or fall below, the price you've set. regarding your ICICI Direct query, you can check here - https://secure.icicidirect.com/tradi...radinghelp.asp
    'When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.'

PolicyWala Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks Policy_Expert. Buy the info I am looking for is from delivery shares perspective not from futures perspective. In the above link ICICI Direct explained on futures way.

Thanks again,
    Sharma

PolicyWala Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Sharma View Post
    Thanks Policy_Expert. Buy the info I am looking for is from delivery shares perspective not from futures perspective. In the above link ICICI Direct explained on futures way.

Thanks again,
    Sharma
    Check with ICICI Direct customer care, they are in best position to explain your query.
    The road to success??.. Is always under construction.

PolicyWala NewBie

Question

Is there is difference in Shares and Stock? Most of the people use them interchangeable. It's silly one question, but if any expert help me out in understanding this would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by RajS View Post
    Is there is difference in Shares and Stock?
    The stock or capital stock of a business entity represents the original capital paid or invested into the business by its founders. It serves as a security for the creditors of a business since it cannot be withdrawn to the detriment of the creditors. Stock is distinct from the property and the assets of a business which may fluctuate in quantity and value.
    The stock of a business is divided into shares, the total of which must be stated at the time of business formation. Given the total amount of money invested into the business, a share has a certain declared face value, commonly known as the par value of a share.

Source - wikipedia.org
    Rules/Guidelines at PolicyWala | Help Old People |
    I am speaking from experience and my own personal views above - I am not an advisor, nor an expert.

Shares and stocks are one and the same thing.
    What Does Shares Mean?
    A unit of ownership interest in a corporation or financial asset. While owning shares in a business does not mean that the shareholder has direct control over the business's day-to-day operations, being a shareholder does entitle the possessor to an equal distribution in any profits, if any are declared in the form of dividends. The two main types of shares are common shares and preferred shares.
    What Does Stock Mean?
    A type of security that signifies ownership in a corporation and represents a claim on part of the corporation's assets and earnings.
    Also known as "shares" or "equity".

Source - Investopedia.com
    * SAFE
    Self Appointed Financial Expert

PolicyWala NewBie

Good Info Expert. My understanding is also same. But now I got the meaning of both the terms.