Thread: Mediclaim policy - Pre existing diseases?

PolicyWala NewBie

Question Mediclaim policy - Pre existing diseases?

Hi All,

I have discussed with my Insurance Agent that in a mediclaim policy pre existing diseases are covered after 4 years. I have a question on it that -
    Are these diseases covered completely or what?

Please advise.

If the insurance policy states that pre existing diseases would be covered after 4 years then all of these diseases/condition along with any condition arising out of pre existing disease would be covered. Insurance Company or Insurer cannot repudiate a claim on the basis of pre existing condition after this qualifying period.

Exclusions for Preexisting diseases -
    a) Exclusion of certain named diseases in the first year of the policy.
    b) Congenital external disease, sterility, venereal disease, intentional self-injury, use of drugs, alcohol, rest cure etc.
    c) AIDS
    d) Charges primarily for diagnostic, laboratory examinations, and not related to any treatment in hospital. So also for vitamins and tonics unless prescribed for treatment.
    e) Dental treatment not requiring hospitaiisation.
    f) Treatment arising from or traceable to pregnancy, childbirth, including caesarean.
    g) Naturopathy treatment.

EXCLUSION 4.a, 4.b & 4.c have been amended. Pre-existing diseases shall be covered after 4 continuous claims free Policy years with ‘National’. However, in case of exclusion 4.3, for renewals, existing condition shall apply, i.e. the one year exclusion applicable earlier shall be valid.

Source - National Insurance Co. Website
    |Jargon Buster|Before you post, please read the FAQ and the sticky posts on the board you wish to use.|Blog|