Thread: Life Insurance Premium paid in advance - Will get 80 C deduction?

PolicyWala Expert

Question Life Insurance Premium paid in advance - Will get 80 C deduction?

If I make payment of Life Insurance Premium in advance, which is due in next financial year i.e. after 31st March'2010. Can I claim that in 80 C deduction in the Income Tax deduction for the current Financial Year?

Yes, you can claim for any paid premium.
    Amit
    Pls follow Rules/Guidelines @ PolicyWala
    “The happiest people are not those who live on their own terms…but are those who change their terms for the ones whom they love”

Life Insurance Premiums
    Any amount that you pay towards life insurance premium for yourself, your spouse or your children can also be included in Section 80C deduction. Please note that life insurance premium paid by you for your parents (father / mother / both) or your in-laws is not eligible for deduction under section 80C. If you are paying premium for more than one insurance policy, all the premiums can be included. It is not necessary to have the insurance policy from Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) – even insurance bought from private players can be considered here.
    |Jargon Buster|Before you post, please read the FAQ and the sticky posts on the board you wish to use.|Blog|

Quote Originally Posted by Harish Rawat View Post
    If I make payment of Life Insurance Premium in advance, which is due in next financial year i.e. after 31st March'2010. Can I claim that in 80 C deduction in the Income Tax deduction for the current Financial Year?
    You can claim all the Life Insurance Premium amount.
    As per section 80C -
    "Deduction is available on the basis of specified qualifying Investments/Contributions/Deposits/Payments made by the taxpayer during the previous year".

PolicyWala Expert

What about if I have made any payment for premium arrear?