If policyholder name is misspelled in the policy bond or policyholder has changed name due to one of the following reasons:
1. the Assured having changed his/her name and/or surname,
2. the Assured having been adopted (here generally the change is in the assured’s second name and/or surname),
3. in the case of female lives, on account of marriage or remarriage.
For change/alteration in the assured’s name, documentary evidence in support of the change in name is necessary. Depending upon the circumstances of the case the evidence may be one of the following:
a. Gazette Notification: a notification in the Government Gazette, or
b. Newspaper Ad: an advertisement in a Newspaper, or
c. Affidavit: a declaration or an affidavit made before a Magistrate or a Justice of the Peace or an Officer empowered to administer Oaths (such a declaration or an affidavit should be on a stamped paper of adequate value as per Stamp Regulations in force at the place of execution of declaration), or
d. Deed: an Adoption Deed, or
e. Marriage Certificate: a Marriage Certificate, (If a marriage certificate is not available, letter from two respectable persons, who witnessed the marriage should be called for).
Steps to follow:
1. Go to local Notary and make an affidavit regarding change of your name. You have to mention specific reason for changing your name. e.g. change name after marriage, due to astrological or numerological reasons etc.
2. Affidavit (Format)
B. Newspaper Ad:
1. Newspaper Ads (Format)
2. You need to publish your ad in two newspapers (local English Newspaper & local official language of the State)
3. You can publish newspaper ads using bookmyad and releasemyad.
C. Gazette Notification:
To get your name published in the Official Gazette of your state, you need following documents:
1. Cover letter explaining about the reason and list down all the below documents.
2. Signed Name Change Specimen (Format)
3. 2 copies of Change of Name Deed (Format).
4. Original Affidavit for Change of Name.
5. Original Newspaper Advertisement.
6. A Postal Order/Demand Draft
7. Two photographs duly attested by a Gazetted Officer pasted on a plain piece of paper with your New Name typed on it.
Submit all the above documents to your local Government Press or the department that mobilizes Gazette notification.
D. Adaptation Deed:
1. Adaptation Deed (Format)
2. You will need to provide a copy of the affidavit, copies of newspaper classifieds published, address and id proofs, passport photographs & the applicable fee.
Things to take care
1. Change of name can only done only in the LIC branch from where the policy was issued.
2. Please also name change with various banking institutions, govt. agencies (e.g. voters id, PAN card, passport etc.). For this, you may be required to fill a separate dedicated forms along with producing the affidavit, newspaper copies supporting name change.
3. Please note above formats are provided for your info only, please check with respective experts before using them.
4. Always keep original copies of all the certificate and affidavit.