Most of us brought online/offline term insurance plans from various private companies. Let now learn the claim process:
Step 1 – Notify the insurance company:
You should contact the insurance company as soon as possible. You can use any method via email, phone, fax, letter etc.
When you call, please have the following information handy:
1– Name of the deceased.
2– The policy number(s).
3– The date of death.
4– Your relationship with deceased.
5– Your contact number
Whatever method you use, always note the details (date, time & person you spoken with) and also takedown the reference number for future reference.
Step 2 – Download Claim Form:
Download Claim Form from the Insurance Company Website. We have listed down all the links below:
Step 3 – Collect Insurance Claim Documentation:
You need different set of documents for Natural Death & Un-natural Death (Such as – Accidental death / Murder / Suicide)
1. Claim Intimation Form
2. Death certificate issued by Relevant Authority (original or certified/notarised copy of the policyholder’s death certificate.)
3. Original Policy Document
4. Claimant’s Photo ID & Address Proof
5. Medical records at the time of death & past illnesses
6. Advance Maturity Benefit Pay-out Discharge Voucher
7. NEFT Mandate Form
8. Cancelled cheque leaf or bank pass book of the beneficiary/nominee
Un-natural Death (Accidental death / Murder / Suicide)
All the documents listed above plus following additional documents-
9. Attested copy of FIR, Police Inquest Report & Panchanama
10. Attested copy of Post Mortem Report
Some insurer e.g. ICICI Pru, Max Life asks for Certificate from Employer (for salaried individuals, In case Life Assured was Employed)
Step 4 – Submit Documents:
Please visit the nearest insurer branch with your photo id and address proof and submit all the above documents.
1. All submitted documents must be the original or photocopies attested by a gazetted officer, SEM, magistrate or a person of local standing, e.g. Sarpanch, Talathi, Tahsildar or Police Sub-Inspector.
2. All medical reports, documents and certification shall be issued by the attending physician and who is qualified to provide such document/certification according to the laws of India.
3. Please note always keep a photocopy of all the above documents in your own record.
4. If there is more than one beneficiary, each must sign the claim form.
5. The claim amount is payable to the Policyholder / nominee / beneficiary / appointee / assignee under the Policy.
- In case the life assured has changed the nomination / appointee. The death claim amount is payable to the latest nominee / appointee registered with the Company.
- In case the Policy is re-assigned, then the death claim amount is payable to the latest nominee / appointee registered with the Company.
- In case there are no nominations under the Policy the death benefits would be paid to the heirs of the deceased Life Assured.