What is Schengen Visa?
A Schengen visa is a short-stay visa allowing visitor to travel and stay in the Schengen Area. The Schengen area covers 26 countries (‘Schengen States’) without internal border controls. These countries are:
Types of Schengen Visa?
1. Airport transit visa (Type A)
An airport transit visa is valid for transiting through the international transit areas of airports situated in the Schengen Area, but not for entering the territory of a Schengen state. Category A, the airport transit visa, does not require travel insurance.
2. Uniform visa or Short-stay visa (Type C)
A uniform visa entitles its holder to free movement throughout the Schengen Area.
3. Long-stay visa (Type D)
A long-stay visa is issued to nationals of certain non-EU countries who intend to stay longer than 90 days in the Netherlands.
Minimum Travel Insurance Requirements for Schengen Visa:
Travel Medical insurance for the Schengen visa must meet the following requirements:
1. Medical coverage of at least Euro 30,000.
2. Medical evacuation/ repatriation must be covered.
Approved List of Travel Insurance Companies for Schengen Visa:
The Schengen States Consular Representations have approved the following list of Indian Travel Insurance Companies providing Travel Medical Insurance for Schengen Visa procedure w.e.f 1st September 2015.
A. Proposer Age (between 6 months – 70 years)
- Apollo Munich Health Insurance Company
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company
- Bharti AXA General Insurance Company
- Cholamandalam MS General Insurance Company
- Cigna TTK Health Insurance Limited
- Future Generali India Insurance Company
- HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company
- IFFCO – Tokio General Insurance Company
- National Insurance Company
- Reliance General Insurance Company
- Religare Health Insurance Company
- Royal Sundaram Alliance Insurance Company
- SBI General Insurance Company
- Star Health & Allied Insurance Company
- Tata AIG General Insurance Company
- The New India Assurance Company
- The Oriental Insurance Company
- United India Insurance Company
- Universal Sompo General Insurance Company
B. Proposer Age (above 70 years)
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company : Travel Prime Super Age Policy (without age limit)
- Cigna TTK Health Insurance Limited (between 0 month – 75 years)
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company : Policies for Schengen Countries (between 51-85 years)
- National Insurance Company : Schengen Plan (between 61- 80 years)
- Religare Health Insurance Company : All Plans without age limit
- Tata AIG General Insurance Company : Travel Guard Senior (without Sublimits) (between 71 years and above)
- United India Insurance Company : without age limit